If you have been following along on my Instagram, you will have seen my dilemma with baking cupcakes.
It was my sons 4th birthday about one week ago and I decided (as always) to try to bake cupcakes, but this recipe and the melting chocolate Lego molds just did not come out the way I expected. I was disappointed in myself for failing. I failed to follow a recipe, I failed to melt white melting chocolate (is that even possible?) and I failed to ice those cupcakes Pinterest perfect style. But one thing I succeeded in is making my son happy, and that above all my failures of the day was a win.
You see our kids don’t know Pinterest perfect, but they do know mom made, made with love. They don’t see the faulty attempt, they see the attempt. They don’t see the perfect picture, what we give to them is perfect in their eyes. My son was so excited when he saw these cupcakes, he actually had one for breakfast and his first reaction was “oh mom look mine has a Lego ninja on top”. That made my heart well up from pride. And at that moment I knew that I don’t have to be the Pinterest perfect mom I can just be me, because I am mom enough for my kids in all areas.
So from a few failed attempts I decided not to give up.
I started looking for some recipes and came across this delicious recipe from Taste and Tell blog and man was I surprised how moist they were. They rose perfectly, they had the perfect chocolatey texture and they were so fluffy. I did however adapt the recipe to my taste:
Chocolatey Sour Cream Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1¼ cups tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons cocoa (depending on how strong you want the chocolate flavor to be)
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF / 180 ºC. Line your cupcake pan (I only had a 6 x muffin pan, so I just refilled when the 6 were done)
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Scrape the bowl down as needed. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the cocoa. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating fully between additions. Add the vanilla and beat the mixture until the color has lightened slightly, about 1 minute. Mix in the sour cream and mix until no white streaks remain.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter, mixing just until combined. Mix in the water..
- Divide the mixture between the prepared cups. Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.( I used a kebab stick) Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before Icing.
Make the buttercream:
- In a large bowl, sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa.
- Add the butter, and with an electric mixer on low speed, beat until smooth and combined. The mixture will appear crumbly at first, but it will eventually come together.
- Add in the vanilla and the milk and beat together on medium speed for at least 3 minutes, until it is smooth and creamy.
Lego men toppings:
So by now you know that my first attempt was a failure, so my next resort was to use ready-made fondant.
- I bought 4 packets (1x red, 1x blue, 1x green and 1x yellow).
- I bought the Lego silicon molds on Amazon (Amazon FR; Amazon UK) and used the one with the 8 men molds.
- Use a drop of oil and spread it with your index finger in all of the molds, it should just look a little bit wet, like just a residue left behind
- Take a ball from the fondant about the size of a 1 euro coin
- Press that piece of fondant really hard into each corner of the mold, remove any excess fondant, the fondant should just cover the mold, it should not peel out and it should be flat.
- Place in the fridge to harden for about 20 minutes.
- Pop them out and place in a bowl, repeat all 5 steps till you have the desired amount.